Legendary investor and chief executive officer of Berkshire Hathaway, Warren Buffett, is on record as having said that in the markets it is wise to exercise caution when everyone else is acting greedily. His exact words were ?Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful.?
It should therefore have come as no surprise when earlier in the year Buffett said that there will be a bad ending for virtual currencies. At the time he made the statement Bitcoin (BTC) had a few weeks prior just hit a record high and there was feverish excitement in the sector with more and more people piling in to invest in digital currencies.
During that period predictions were made that Bitcoin would hit a high of $100,000 before the end of this year. While the price of Bitcoin was around $14,000 at the time it is now hovering below $7,000. Other virtual currencies have also fallen drastically. This was not the first time that Buffett was dismissing virtual coins as he also raised the same concerns he has over them in 2014 when he called Bitcoin a ?mirage?.
By urging investors to be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful it has been explained that Buffett meant that when there is greed in the market prices tend to rise dramatically as everyone wants a piece of the action. The reason Buffett advises caution during such a time is the fact that purchasing an asset then the price is likely to be high and one will thus overpay, a fact which will lead to anemic returns in future. However when market players are acting overcautiously and everyone is fearful, the price of assets is likely to be depressed and thus one is likely to get value for their money if they buy.
Examples of Buffett employing his strategy include the case of American Express. In the 1960s the stock of financial services company fell by half after a scandal was discovered where collateral that had be used was found to be non-existent. After undertaking a review of the business model of the company Buffett decided that there would be no material impact on the moat of American Express and thus invested in the stock. In the next half a decade the value of American Express had increased five-fold.
By warning against virtual currencies it is clear that Buffett does not see any ?American Express? in the sector that he would willingly invest in. However not all famed investors who come close to being compared to Buffett are heeding his advice and keeping away from digital currencies. Soros Fund Management, an investment fund that was started by George Soros, is for instance making plans to engage in the trading of cryptocurrencies. Per Bloomberg reports, the head of global macroeconomic investing at Soros Fund Management, Adam Fisher, has received approval to make investments in virtual currencies as well as trade in them. The amount of funds that Soros Fund Management currently manages is around $26 billion.
Dippli is an independent media outlet that covers the current events in the crypto space. Got breaking news or a story to share? Then feel free to contact us at [email protected].
The post Be Fearful When Others Are Greedy, Buffett Warns On Cryptocurrencies appeared first on dippli.
Algorand: The Dark Horse of Crypto World
Ethereum continues to be the de facto choice for most crypto projects. However, its scalability limitation and overcrowding have forced many crypto projects, especially the DeFi ones, to seek other alternatives. Though there are several capable and attractive blockchain solutions available, Algorand has rather quickly grabbed many projects’ attention. Besides new projects opting for the ecosystem, older ones included Algorand realizing its potential. And Algorand is proving them right with regular essential feature updates.
The Underlying Technology of Algorand
Algorand employs the Pure Proof-of-Stake (PPoS) consensus mechanism, which is stake-independent, assuring equal selection chance. The block producers and validators are selected through lucky draws that ensure their identities stay hidden.
Algorand uniquely tuned with the following features –
- High Speed & Throughput – The near-instant lottery, coupled with a block production completion rate of about 4 seconds, enables the mainnet to deliver an over 1000 TPS throughput.
- Highly Scalable – Being totally independent of each other, multiple lucky draws are processed simultaneously. This grants a linearly scalable network.
- Security – The complete random selection ensures all data remains tamperproof. The stake size-independent nature prevents lottery manipulation.
- Proper Decentralization – The random selection of nodes and block contributors guarantees a high degree of decentralization.
- No-fork Policy – In the Algorand blockchain, a block once attached to the chain cannot be altered in the future, promising no future forking.
- Enterprise-grade Solution – Algorand is developed with DeFi in mind, and thus, naturally, the entire ecosystem is built to benefit big organizations in every way.
Algorand’s Important Feature Set
Just like other next-gen blockchain platforms, Algorand 2.0 has adopted a layer-1 focused service implementation policy. But the challenge here is optimizing all those services without sacrificing the speed and scalability Algorand promotes. However, subsequent feature addition on layer-1 showed the Algorand team’s expertise in finding innovative solutions to these complex problems.
The following three features helped Algorand bag some of its best, most important, and influential projects.
#1. Algorand Standard Assets (ASAs)
Introducing the standardization method enables the tokenization and issuance of any asset types on the platform. ASA supports the following token types –
- Fungible assets – Cryptocurrencies, stablecoins, and utility tokens
- Non-fungible assets – Gold, a digital collectible, a single piece of jewelry
- Restricted fungible assets – Security tokens, securities
- Restricted non-fungible assets – Licenses, certifications
#2. Atomic Transactions
Atomic Transfers groups together fungible tokens of multiple parties and process them simultaneously, thus offering a fast, low cost, and secure solution. This benefits various daily trade activities such as –
- Operate trades without trusted intermediaries in DEX
- Simultaneous multi-party payments
- Group payments facility where payments get approved only when everyone pays
#3. Algorand’s Smart Contracts (ASC1s)
Algorand first added stateless smart contact and then went on to add stateful versions, both on layer-1. For comparison, Ethereum offers just stateful smart contracts.
Stateless smart contracts bring efficiency and faster solution to the table as instructions/conditions are provided within each transaction itself. In Algorand’s version of stateful contracts, state data is supplied not with the transaction but with creator/user accounts. This method also offers concurrency and efficiency at a low cost. With both versions, Algorand presents the options of customizability and speedy solution.
Algorand uses a language called TEAL for writing smart contracts. With the introduction of PyTEAL support to both smart contracts, developers would easily write contracts in familiar Python code while it gets translated automatically into TEAL.
#4. Fast Catchup
This feature enables developers to begin working on their DApps without waiting for the entire blockchain to sync. This syncing process can take hours or even days, depending on the size. Developers can download either the entire blockchain or from a particular block where the previous blocks are hashed.
Rekeying allows users to change the security or authorized spending anytime while keeping a single long-running public address. This also enables changing it from a single key to a multi-signatory key to a stateless smart contract with a built-in spending policy.
- This benefits digital asset custodians where, for example, they can have a wallet of multiple private keys with different spending limits.
- Automate crypto inheritance, which will be further enriched when Algorand introduces outside oracles
- Allow you to give account access to other in a trustless manner while retaining the control
Within just two years, Algorand has garnered over 34 partnerships with many of them being important DeFi projects. This shows Algorand’s effectiveness.
- Tether – With the launch of USDT, the leading stablecoin by market cap, on the Algorand blockchain, Tether became the first stablecoin firm to partner with Algorand.
- Circle – Following Tether’s footstep, Circle entered into a partnership with Algorand for its USDC, the fastest-growing and number two stablecoin.
- International Blockchain Monetary Reserve (IBMR) – IBMR.io selected the Algorand platform to launch the Southeast Asia Microfinance Platform (ARC.one) and create ARCC stablecoin on Algorand. Their focus is to support the financial inclusion of the urban-class poor in Southeast Asia.
- SFB Technologies – The firm tasked with developing Marshall Islands’ Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC) Marshallese Sovereign (SOV), narrowed down Algorand as the underlying blockchain infrastructure.
- IDEX – IDEX partnered with Algorand to offer its next-gen solutions and cash on ALgorand’s growing popularity.
- Verady – With this collaboration, Algorand benefits from crypto tax and accounting software firm Verady’s Ledgible platform for internal accounting and auditing.
- AssetBlock: The real estate startup project selected Algorand to launch its tokenized property investment service
- Meld – This collaboration project uses Algorand’s ASA to tokenize the Australian gold reserve, issue stablecoin, and track it across the supply chain.
- Stonize – It has launched its secure, decentralized, and customized digital security services on the Algorand blockchain.
- FIDE – FIDE online, the digital wing of World chess (FIDE), has selected the Algorand blockchain to store all online official tournament data and player rankings there.
- PlanetWatch – The first “CERN Spin-off-labeled” organization is set to develop the world’s first immutable air quality ledger on the Algorand blockchain incorporating IoT technologies to monitor the environments.
Algorand is feature-rich and its approach to offer a complete solution for enterprises is proving its mettle. Though starting as a dark horse, it is coming out to be a major player, especially in the DeFi space, going toe-to-toe with Ethereum. Don’t get surprised if Algorand becomes the dominant DeFi platform in the near future.
Crypto Market Cap Gained $10 Billion, Bitcoin Eyes $11,000? (Saturday’s Market Watch)
The cryptocurrency market continues to rebound and has added another $10 billion to its market cap since yesterday. Bitcoin trades around $10,700, while some leading altcoins mark serious gains.
Bitcoin Price Trades Around $10,700
Following yesterday’s increase in which Bitcoin topped at $10,800, the primary cryptocurrency retraced to its intraday bottom at about $10,550. However, the bulls intercepted the price dip and drove the asset upwards once again. Just as 2020 goes so far, this Bitcoin spike followed the 1-2% gains seen on Wall Street at the Friday trading session.
The S&P 500 (1.6%), the Dow Jones Industrial Average (1.34%), and the Nasdaq Composite (2.26%) were all deep in the green.
At the time of this writing, BTC has dipped to $10,760 after getting rejected at the first major resistance at $10,790.
As per the analysis, if BTC price breaks above, it could head towards the next resistance at $11,000, followed by $11,200, $11,360, and $11,530. Alternatively, should the asset fall, it could rely on the support levels at $10,580, $10,440, and $10,390, if necessary.
Despite stocks and cryptocurrencies, gold had failed to increase: Recording an intraday high of $1,875, the precious metal dived and closed the session at $1,860.
Altcoins Gain Traction
Some alternative coins lost significant chunks of value lately, but they have been recovering in the past few days. Ethereum has continued its upward movement with another 3% increase to above $350.
Ripple has surged by 5% to $0.243. Bitcoin Cash (1%), Polkadot (3%), Binance Coin (1%), and Litecoin (3%) are also in the green from the top 10. However, Chainlink has outperformed them all by marking an 11% increase. LINK has overtaken BNB and DOT and currently occupies the 6th spot.
As it typically happens, the most volatile price moves come from mid and low-cap alts.
CyberVein leads with a 21% surge. Ren (20.5%), Yearn.Finance (17%), The Midas Touch Gold (14%), DFI.Money (14%), Cardano (11%), Zilliqa (11%), HedgeTrade (10.5%), and Nervos Network (10%) follow.
In total, the cryptocurrency market cap has increased by $10 billion since yesterday. On a 48-hour scale, the metric is up by 8% since its bottom at $319 billion to $344 billion.
Click here to start trading on BitMEX and receive 10% discount on fees for 6 months.
Disclaimer: Information found on CryptoPotato is those of writers quoted. It does not represent the opinions of CryptoPotato on whether to buy, sell, or hold any investments. You are advised to conduct your own research before making any investment decisions. Use provided information at your own risk. See Disclaimer for more information.
Cryptocurrency charts by TradingView.
Bitcoin Always Online In Venezuela: Launched The First Satellite Node In Collaboration With Blockstream
Bitcoiners in Venezuela don’t need the internet to send some Satoshis. Today, the crypto payments startup Cryptobuyer announced the successful launch of the first Bitcoin satellite node thanks to a collaboration between Cryptobuyer, Blockstream, and a team led by a crypto enthusiast named Aníbal Garrido.
The initiative allows interacting with the Bitcoin blockchain without the need of an internet connection. A satellite antenna installed in Venezuela is in charge of the communication between the node and the blockchain.
We successfully installed and run a satellite #Bitcoin node in #Venezuela which allows us to be independent of the internet to download messages and validate transactions. Thanks to @Blockstream @adam3us @richardbensberg @anibalcripto for all your support https://t.co/TUb6eG19XP
— Cryptobuyer (@cryptobuyer) September 25, 2020
How the Satellite Node Works
This novel solution allows the Venezuelan node to process information in real-time completely off-line. Thus, the normal functioning of the network in case of connectivity failure (something widespread in the country) is guaranteed. It also facilitates the use of cryptocurrencies in remote places where internet service is scarce, expensive, or even non-existent.
The project works as follows: Blockstream contracts a number of satellites to provide the communication service between the nodes and the blockchain. Cryptobuyer bought the necessary equipment to receive the signal and connect to the satellite, and Anibal Garrido and his team were in charge of assembling the antennas and making the required adjustments.
It’s been a pleasure working with @cryptobuyer and @anibalcripto to launch the first of many #BlockstreamSatellite nodes in #Venezuela, ensuring bitcoiners in the region are always connected to the Bitcoin network! 🛰⛓💻 https://t.co/hzqoR1nACI
— Blockstream (@Blockstream) September 25, 2020
For Alvaro Perez, a software programmer from Valencia City who helped set up the whole infrastructure, the node’s synchronization was an inspiring moment. In statements compiled by Cryptobuyer on an official blog post, the expert says that the operation was a “great achievement.”
“We downloaded the whole Bitcoin blockchain and successfully carried out the first transaction through a Bitcoin satellite node in our country on September 23, from the city of Valencia (…) We received bitcoin through the satellite connection without any internet connection. It was a moment of great achievement.”
The journey is just beginning for Bitcoiners in Venezuela
This would be the first of three antennas that Cryptobuyer plans to deploy to cover the country’s most critical areas. The remaining two will be placed in the country’s capital, Caracas, in the north of Venezuela, and Puerto Ordaz, an industrial city located south of the country.
Later on, they plan to deploy a large number of small devices that will serve as a sort of repeater antenna to create a sizeable mesh-type network that will facilitate transactions in Bitcoin even far away from the primary antenna.
Now there’s no excuse to start using some satoshis in the country. Venezuela keeps proving that it has plenty of reasons to be on the podium of the three countries with the most adoption of Bitcoin around the world.
Blockchain4 weeks ago
Market Wrap: Bitcoin’s Powell-Induced Price Swing; Ethereum Still High on Gas
Blockchain1 month ago
The US Post Office Files a Patent for a Blockchain-Based Voting System
Blockchain4 months ago
How to Identify the ‘Third Wave’ of Cannabis Investments
Blockchain3 weeks ago
Blockchain Bites: Is DeFi an Inside Deal?
Blockchain2 months ago
Wealthfront Lures Millenials With Crypto Memes and Tactics
Blockchain2 months ago
Top Five Most Advanced Cryptocurrencies
Blockchain4 months ago
5 Tips to Interest the Press in Your Cannabis Business
Blockchain3 months ago
Top 5 Most Effective Cannabis Marketing Strategies